Sunday, February 9, 2014

Rosemount Shiraz 2012

Rosemount Shiraz 2012

For my first wine tasting on my own I chose to try a type of wine I had never had before. The Shiraz flavor was now something I was accustomed to and I found it very pleasant how easily it was to drink. As wines go for me personally I find the bitterness defines how easily I personally think the wine is to drink. This wine was much less bitter than previous Merlot and Malbac wines I have had before. This was a cheap purchase as the wine was only eight dollars but it had won over 230 awards making it an intriguing choice to me.

I unfortunately have a poor sense of smell that seems to get worse each year. However, starting with the sniff and swirl I found the fruity aromas to be the first smells that I recognized. Next, after tasting the wine i could taste some blackberries, raspberries, and an oak wood finish to it. This wine seemed to be a little more watery than most, with a lighter purple color. I am still however training myself to look for slight variations during the mid-pallet when tasting wines.

My final conclusions about this wine is that as easy as it was to drink a Shiraz is not my favorite kind of wine. While it lacked the bitterness of other types and had a very easy to drink fruity flavor I felt like it lacked a little bit in the alcoholic "punch" one may taste when drinking red wines. I will look to explore this type of tasting in the future with this weeks wine purchase and tasting. I will also experiment with different foods that may go good with these wines.

No comments:

Post a Comment